This is something I saw at The Daily What that needed to be passed forward:
Sweet Support of the Day: The Occupy Wall Street demonstrators just received an encouraging nod from two of their highest profile supporters to date: Ben & Jerry.
“We, the Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors, compelled by our personal convictions and our Company’s mission and values, wish to express our deepest admiration to all of you who have initiated the non-violent Occupy Wall Street Movement and to those around the country who have joined in solidarity,” said the Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors in a statement just posted to the company’s official site.
In addition to their kind words, the ice cream brand’s board also submitted a list of issues raised by the movement that they feel “are of fundamental importance to all of us”:
- The inequity that exists between classes in our country is simply immoral.
- We are in an unemployment crisis. Almost 14 million people are unemployed. Nearly 20% of African American men are unemployed. Over 25% of our nation’s youth are unemployed.
- Many workers who have jobs have to work 2 or 3 of them just to scrape by.
- Higher education is almost impossible to obtain without going deeply in debt.
- Corporations are permitted to spend unlimited resources to influence elections while stockpiling a trillion dollars rather than hiring people.
see more The Daily What