Today Tina and I leave for France to celebrate my 40th birthday, which was last September.
For the past two weeks, I’ve been waking up every morning around 4 a.m. and can’t get back to sleep for a while. In those waking hours, I’ve been trying to think in French putting myself in all kinds of situations and trying to work out the grammar and vocabulary.
This morning, I woke again at 4 and couldn’t stop thinking about how this trip somehow coincides with the number 4. I’m not a numerologist. Nor do I think there’s anything more than contrived coincidence to think about this trip in terms of fours, but here’s what I came up with while lying in the dark staring at my eyelids.
We’re going to France to celebrate my 40th birthday.
Twenty years ago, I traveled to France for my study abroad. There are five fours in the number twenty.
- At the time of my first trip (1996), I had been dating my high school sweetheart for four years.
- Four years after my first trip (2000), I met Tina after making a big move to Chicago.
- Four years later (2004), I was established as a freelance filmmaker and photographer. Side note: In 2002 (2+0+0+2=4), I lived in the Philippines for 4 months. Also, within that time I had officially transitioned from the political affiliation of my parents to
- Four years later in 2008, I married Tina. We honeymooned in France.
- By 2012, Tina and I were working together full time. In 2013, we visited France a third time.
And now we are set to go to France again. Number 4. The word “French” is a derivation of the Gaul word for four virgins.
On this trip, We’re traveling with my oldest and dearest friend Aaron and his wife Jackie. There will be four of us.🙂
I’m so excited that I can’t even sleep let alone see straight.
I can’t wait to get there!
Help me blow out my candles, but my wishes have already come true.🙂