He has posted the above cartoon before. The correlation between being spiritual/religious and being a dick is directly connected.
On the other hand, the more of a dick you are, the less you can identify how big of a dick you are.
Or you’re like me, and you have to grapple with your own dick-ish-ness, and push to be less of one in general.
Apropos, I just saw this list over at Kottke. It’s a collection of a 70 year old’s wishes his old self knew then what he thinks now. It’s a great list, and I could probably quote the whole thing. But take a look for yourselves.
Here are some standouts for me:
• Dont keep making the same mistakes; try to make new mistakes.
• Anything you say before the word “but” does not count.
• Whenever there is an argument between two sides, find the third side.
• The biggest lie we tell ourselves is “I dont need to write this down because I will remember it.”
• 90% of everything is crap. If you think you don’t like opera, romance novels, TikTok, country music, vegan food, NFTs, keep trying to see if you can find the 10% that is not crap.
• Dont believe everything you think you believe.
• You see only 2% of another person, and they see only 2% of you. Attune yourselves to the hidden 98%.
• Dont purchase extra insurance if you are renting a car with a credit card.